As the weather gets warmer and summer nears I find myself naturally craving lighter foods like salads and smoothies. Don’t get me wrong, I crave ice cream too, but I try to listen to the healthier cravings;) I’ve always loved salads. I say that in the least obnoxious way possible. I hate to be one of those “I’ll just have a salad,” people, but I actually am one. From a very young age I was taught to always have salad after your meal to aid in digestion. It’s an Italian thing so I hear. Thanks Dad and Gram for teaching me to love my greens! I eat a salad every single night with dinner, and sometimes I have them for lunch too. I really don’t understand how people can say they don’t like salad. You can make it however you want! It’s totally customizable to your tastes. This particular salad is one of my favorites because it contains multiple sources of protein: eggs, almonds and chickpeas. I don’t eat meat, so other protein sources are super important to me. This salad is a powerhouse of nutrients, with baby spinach being a great choice of greens for a boost in iron. When topped with my lemon vinaigrette, it’s the perfect summertime lunch!
Spinach Protein Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
2 large eggs
3 1/2 packed cups organic baby spinach
1/2 cup organic chickpeas, drained, rinsed in cold water and patted dry
1/4 cup chopped almonds of choice (raw, roasted etc. I like roasted & salted)
10 cherry tomatoes, halved lengthwise
1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp onion powder
Sea salt & ground pepper to taste
- Hard boil the eggs. In a small pot, cover the eggs with water and bring to a boil. When the eggs are boiling, remove pot from burner, cover and let sit for 12 minutes. This ensures the eggs are cooked to perfection! The middle isn’t too dry, yet the eggs peel easily.
- While eggs are cooking, in a large bowl combine baby spinach, chickpeas, almonds and tomatoes.
- When eggs have sat for 12 minutes, rinse with cool water, peel and half lengthwise. Set aside.
- Next, make the dressing. Combine olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice and onion powder. Whisk well.
- Pour dressing over the combined salad, season with salt & pepper, and toss to coat.
- Split salad into two bowls and top each with a halved egg.